Kaine Geoffrey Jones pleads guilty to manslaughter of 56-year-old tourist Graeme Wilton at Mannering Park

GUILTY: Kaine Geoffrey Jones has admitted to killing Graeme Wilton following a road rage incident at Mannering Park. Prosecutors accepted his guilty plea to manslaughter and dropped the murder charge. Picture: Darren Pateman.A MARTIAL arts boxer has admitted killing a 56-year-old tourist after punching him to the ground in a road rage incident at Mannering Park.

Graeme Wilton was on a two-year trip around Australia with his wife when his late afternoon walk was interrupted by a screeching utility on December 12, 2013.

Behind the wheel was Muay Thay boxer Kaine Geoffrey Jones, who had already punched another man in the car park of a Central Coast shopping centre less than six months previously.

Victim Graeme Wilton.

Witnesses were to tell police they saw Mr Wilton bang his palms on the bonnet then raise his hands in the air.

They allege the older man threw his hands into the air and walked along the driver’s side of the car, speaking in the direction of the driver when Jones got out and punched Mr Wilton to the head, causing him to fall back and hit his head on the bitumen.

Jones then did a burnout within metres of Mr Wilton’s body and took off at speed.

Mr Wilton regained consciousness and was taken to Wyong Hospital, before being transferred to Royal North Shore intensive care unit where he was placed in an induced coma and underwent two surgeries to reduce the swelling on his brain.

He died on February 10.

Jones was due to face a murder trial in Newcastle Supreme Court on Monday before prosecutors accepted aguilty plea to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

In doing so, Jones has admitted killing Mr Wilton and will remain behind bars until his sentencing proceedings are heard on Wednesday.

He has told police that Mr Wilton “ran out in front of the road, in the middle of the road, and I tried to get around him, but he side-stepped in front of me, so I locked the car up and he slammed his hands on the bonnet”, court documents have revealed.

In the documents tendered when he was committed for trial, Jones also said Wilton assaulted him before Jones got out of the car and punched Mr Wilton.

Less than six months earlier, a man needed dental work to re-align his teeth after he was punched repeatedly by Jones in the car park of Westfield Tuggerah.

Comments are closed.